Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review: A Season of Eden by JM Warwick

Summary from Goodreads:
He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible. I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.

My Review:
Hi everyone! Here I am to review A Season of Eden. This story is based on the taboo of a teacher/student relationship. Eden is a high school senor that's looking for an "easy A" class so she enrolls in Chorus. What she doesn't expect is Mr.Christian, a young fresh out of college teacher with a passion for music that moves her.

The reason I picked up this book was because I was intrigued to see how the student/teacher relationship played out. I believe the author did an amazing job! The book definitely portrays Eden and Mr.Christian's passion toward each other perfectly without taking it over the edge. Something else that I liked about the novel was that Eden grows as a person through out the story. At first she's content with hang out with her popular friends and partying every weekend, but she learns that there is more to life than just parties and being a pretty face.

On the other hand I found Eden's fascination with Mr.Christian too sudden and too much at times. I found myself actually laughing at how ridiculous her ideas got. She slowly loses touch with her friends - although she wouldn't exactly call them that- because she much rather spend her time with Mr. Christian.

But all in all I enjoyed the read. The book was just heavy enough to keep me engrossed without getting bored. I recommend this book to anyone that's willing to read anything about a controversial topic!

Grade:
B-

No comments:

Post a Comment