Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Summary from Goodreads:

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.
Review:


I've finally read it you guys! For those of you who don't know I am a huge fan of the Vampire Academy series.... Okay more like I totally fan girl over anything VA. So when I heard a very long time ago that Mrs.Mead was going to do a spin-off series I was ecstatic! I made plans to preorder the book and everything.. Only problem was that it didn't happen. That is not until a couple of days ago when I bought it for my Kindle.

With all that being said I had big expectations for this book and it met them .. well sort of. The book is told from the point of view of Sydney Sage, an Alchemist that we met a handful of times during the duration of the Vampire Academy series. As a narrator she is definitely no Rose, her tone and her way of thinking are much more grounded. It took me sometime to adjust to this. At the beginning of the novel I found myself actually a tad bit bored. To not giving anything away, I'll just say there was too much business talk and not enough action.

It did pick up though, not exactly action wise but the pace of the novel in general did. After a good five chapters I realized that Sydney was actually a great character. I felt that her back story and her turmoils made her quite interesting. I actually thought this with most of the characters that were important to the novel. Jill's character especially surprised me!

Speaking of surprises Mrs. Mead did an astounding job giving the book twist and turns. Because of the excellent way that she describes all of her characters emotions you know that there's a secret but when she finally reveals the secret it is nothing like what you suspected. I really enjoyed that.

But I have to be honest here what really made me love this novel was the last couple of chapters. All the action and suspense and another emotion that I will not mention just completely captured me.

Do you have to read the Vampire Academy series to love this book? No, I wouldn't say so. Mrs. Mead makes sure to explain any reference to an even that happened in VA- which could have been one of the reasons why I found the book dull at some points. Do I recommend you read the Vampire Academy series? Of course! Do I recommend you read this book? Absolutely, this book was great.

Grade:
B+

No comments:

Post a Comment