Thursday, December 15, 2011

Interview : Kelley York, Author of Hushed

1.How did the plot of Hushed come about?

From Archer. He came first. I had the idea for his character and began fleshing him out in my head by asking myself questions. He kills people for the girl he's in love with. Why? Because they did something terrible to her. What makes him change? Evan. And so on.


2.Do you have a favorite character? Why or why not?

Definitely Archer. I love the slightly psychotic, sad, broken boys. There's so much that goes on inside his head and his emotional reactions to things are so heavy and complicated.


3.Have you always wanted to be an author?

I’ve been writing since I was little. I have this silly trophy I got in first grade for a short story I wrote, with my name engraved it in and everything. (Of course, in first grade, a ‘short story’ is like a paragraph...) I wrote a lot of fan-fiction for years, all the way from middle school up through high school and beyond. I did some stuff for original characters, but always kept it to myself and close friends. My first completed novel I did about four years ago. Around the time I was working on HUSHED, I realized this was what I wanted to do for a living.

'Kelley York delivers in this impressive debut. I was at the edge of my
seat waiting to see what would happen next! Bottom line, this was
unputdownable!!!' --- YA Fantasy Guide ---

'How exciting that we live in a time when gay teen protagonists can be
just as screwed up as straight ones -- and their stories just as creepy!'
--- Brent Hartinger, award-winning author of Geography Club and Shadow
Walkers ---

Author Bio:

Kelley was born and raised in central California, where she still resides
with her lovely wife, daughter, and an abundance of pets. (Although she
does fantasize about moving across the globe to Ireland.) She has a
fascination with bells, adores all things furry - be them squeaky, barky
or meow-y - is a lover of video games, manga and anime, and likes to
pretend she's a decent photographer. Her life goal is to find a real
unicorn. Or maybe a mermaid.

Within young adult, she enjoys writing and reading a variety of genres
from contemporary with a unique twist, psychological thrillers,
paranormal/urban fantasy and horror. She loves stories where character
development takes center stage.

Kelley's website: http://www.kelley-york.com/blog

Hushed - Synopsis:

He's saved her. He's loved her. He's killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn't protect his best friend, Vivian, from
what happened when they were kids, so he's never stopped trying to protect
her from everything else. It doesn't matter that Vivian only uses him when
hopping from one toxic relationship to another - Archer is always there,
waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who's ever cared about Archer
without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more
Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders
Archer's committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn
him in if she doesn't get what she wants...And what she wants is Evan's
death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hushed-Kelley-York/dp/1937044742

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hushed-kelley-york/1033904538

No comments:

Post a Comment