Sunday, July 31, 2011

Review: Scars by Cheryl Rainfield - An A+ Read


I have to say this was one of the best books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down! I read all 233 pages in one day.

Here's a synopsis of the book (comes from the book itself)
Fifteen- year- old Kendra, a budding artist, has not felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially since she cannot remember her abuser's identity, and she copes with the pressure of cutting herself.

Now that that's taken care of I must say I had been dying to read this book for a while now. I was so ecstatic when i went to my local library and saw they had it. While I was there a couple of kids told me that it was an amazing book, especially the end. Of course that only added to my eagerness to read it. So i got home, turned on my AC, and began to read ... without stopping.
          I loved the characters in this book. Especially our main character, Kendra. If i do say so myself she's somewhat like a heroine in my eyes. Although she falls into the traps of a terrible addiction she finds strength in the people around her. Her therapist, Carolyn, becomes a major part of pulling through. Sure she's a therapist but there's something about Carolyn's character that seems so gentle and so kind that you almost forget that in the end she is a therapist.
         Also, Sandy, a family friend. Kendra finds a lot of support in him when it comes to her art. He sees her art for what it is. An intense form of expression. To him they are master pieces, not art too raw, too emotional that it won't sell. And then of course there's Megan, who I adored ! She really pulls through for our main character and makes her feel loved and happy. All the characters in this book are so believable. I really dislike it when a book's characters don't have something that's unique about each. In this book each character had their own spin that made you picture them in the real world.
         The plot of this book was a strong one. I didn't find any little holes where the author could have made it better. Being a writer myself I know that no matter what a book can always be better. But this one is perfect the way it is. While you move from chapter to chapter you want to keep reading. The plot pulls you in and holds you all the way until the end.
          The last thing that I'd like to mention about this book is its cover. It's beautiful. I know it seems a little gruesome when you first see it and you might even be a bit shocked, but the reason I was it's beautiful is because it shows real life. It shows what some people live with through out their lives. It shows what some people hide ... It show's true pain.

Quote from book : " Happiness is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now." 


Thank you Cheryl Rainfield for such a great read ! 


Thank you for reading this review :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Wanda, for such a lovely review. I'm so glad you enjoyed Scars!

    ReplyDelete